Thursday, May 22, 2008

Guilding for Dummies


So those unnamed beautiful souls who convinced me to join them in their cycle of addiction, they had a guild...

In a moment of weakness I promised to join their guild. Seemed like the right thing to do, you know. Playing with IRL friends makes it less of an awful thing to do in your spare (and often not-so-spare) time.

It wasn't until later that it started sounding like less of a great idea. By then I was renamed, rehomed, reguilded and the most insanely decked out lv 60 on Frostmourne by far. Not that being a decked out lv 60 gets you anywhere, but there were a lot of "whoa's and OMGWTF's" from the noobies and a lot of "hey, pre-bc raider. respect" from the pros, or the old timers. It amounts to much the same thing in WoW.

So what, exactly, was the issue? Well the very nature of the guild I was in was the issue. See guilds are born for different reasons and serve different purposes.

There are the obvious ones, like the "we r teh leetsauce end game raiders, all applicants must have 8/8 t6 gear k thx" and the "we r teh leetsauce arena and PVP legends, PVE is for noobs, all applicants must eat red meat, drink beer and grind battlegrounds for fun"

There's the hopefuls: "we are looking for more priests/druids/shamans/warriors/rogues/warlocks AND mages to start raiding Kara! (pallies can GTFO we have one of those)"

... and then there's the hopeless.... "we are a social levelling guild of mature fun people who like romantic walks on the beach and picnics in the sun. All classes welcome, must be FUN and blah blah insert hearts and flowers nonsense here"

See guilds serve different purposes to different players. PVP guilds organise premades and arena teams. PVE guilds have organised raids and push new content and get fat lootz. Levelling guilds I suppose are good if people are levelling or something..... and social noobcake guilds are kinda there for the people who want to play the game without playing the game. You know what I mean? Don't really like anything where they might die.

I hear herbalism is fun this time of year.

So. What type of guild did I find my way into? Another type I didn't even know about. This is the type of guild that is created by people who have no guild, for the purpose of having a guild. That way you can design a tabard and choose a cool guild name!

Sweet... I don't have an issue with people not being right into the game. I don't care that a lot of people dont know, and probably aren't interested in the mechanics of spell haste and spell hit. Guild chat is still a social thing, and being the guy in the guild who knows stuff isn't so bad I guess.

I guess my problem was I've been there, and I've done that. its done. meaning finished. meaning other stuff is the doings of happening now. Sure you can PuG every 5 man instance in the game given enough time. I know. I did. Then I got sick of it.

I was level 70 damn it. I should be doing something decent with my WoW time. Not running some shitty 5 man in the hope that some shitty blue will drop, the bloody holy priest won't roll on it, and I will be able to upgrade by a monster +5 spell damage and +2 crit at the cost of only 4 spirit and 1 stamina.

WHOOPIE FUCKING DOO! I needed more. I needed bigger. I needed better.

I should have just quit the stupid game again.

But nooooo. I accepted an invite to Bunny Slippers. Ok so original guild called Walk the Gank Plank. New guild called Bunny Slippers.

Can't say im a fan of either name but you know. Would a bunch of nerds by any other name, still be as geeky? errr. Right.

At least these guys did Kara and stuff.... So I told the old guys the score, I wanted to raid. I used to do nothing BUT raid for months before I quit. 5 mans and quests are boring and im not fkn interested. So its basically this or quit wow ok guys?

What about PVP? Bah pvp is more of a grind than "go kill 25 rats and bring me their tails" and ill give you 2g58s.

GET YER OWN FREAKING RATS YOU LAZY BITCH NPC!

OK sorry. I blew up there.

So it was kinda weird. Kinda awkward, and TBH I miss the guild chat.

So far shiny count from new guild is on 3. tier 4 head, some fancy dagger that Im not using yet coz no offhand, and some ring which was one of those kinda almost sidegrades but for my particular playstyle infintisimal upgrades that people congratulate you on, even tho the only real upgrade is the color of the item text.

Im happy with the head tho. Have a look, it's pimp. Other goodies on there as well. -> -> -> Blood Guard Zupa

More guild drama as it unfolds...

No comments: